Previous Projects under Private Sector
Project Title: Ensuring integrated access to Health Care for vulnerable urban and rural populations, in context of COVID-19 epidemic in Maharashtra
Project Period: August 2020 – September 2021
Donor Agency: Association for India’s Development (AID)
Due to COVID 19 pandemic India is experiencing major shifts in health scenario and health systems. Maharashtra is the worst affected state related to COVID-19, in Indian context. The COVID patients in urban and rural areas are increasing, and along with routine non-COVID patients they need support and facilitation to access healthcare. Maharashtra government has expanded health insurance schemes and entitlements to provide free care for COVID and non-COVID patients, in public as well as private hospitals, particularly expansion of health insurance scheme (MPJAY). The project intervention would be focussed on one urban area (in Pune city) and two rural blocks Pune and Sangli of Maharashtra, including operating a Help desk in the major public hospital serving each area, facilitating people’s access to services related to Health insurance schemes (MPJAY), and publicly created entitlements in private hospitals, outreach activities including orientation of grassroots activists and committee members, strengthening public awareness on health entitlements in context of COVID, dialogue with local health officials to facilitate health care and Documentation of issues and review of processes.
Publishing online platform for health awareness- An online platform in Marathi which would include latest updates and health news regarding the epidemic, popular information about government schemes and measures, interviews of health workers, frontline doctors and social activists doing remarkable work at the grassroots, and editorial type commentary pointing the direction for health system reforms such as Universal Health Care, which need to be socially demanded on large scale in the COVID recovery period. This would be a combination of an attractively designed fortnightly textual bulletin, and regular short videos with interviews, audio-visuals etc.
- Health activists from the partner organization
- Members of local committees and elected representatives who are oriented through project activities
- SATHI team members involved in the project- People who fall ill during this period in the project area and need health services, from public hospitals as well as through insurance schemes would primarily benefit from the project
- Publishing online platform for health awareness
Ensuring integrated access to Health care for selected urban and rural populations, in context of COVID-19 epidemic in Maharashtra
- Help desks will become operational in three secondary public hospitals in selected rural and urban areas of Maharashtra
- Cadre of around 15 health activists in one urban and two rural areas will be developed to work on Help desks, MPJAY, COVID related health entitlements and provisions.
- Trained health activists will assist around a thousand patients monthly in each of 2 rural blocks and one slum cluster in Pune city, for obtaining adequate health care from respective public hospitals and MPJAY and other health schemes.
- Trained health activists will create awareness amongst people about MPJAY and COVID related provisions and schemes, in total 40 villages in two rural blocks, and 10 urban settlements in Pune city.
- SATHI network will produce a document based on regular analysis of information emanating from the help desks and field experiences, including stories of patients who faced barriers in accessing healthcare from the rural blocks and urban areas covered by the project.
- Published series of articles and videos for health awareness.